Get Ready to Rock at the 2017 YC Summer Break - Southern Roots Tour!
Join fellow Maryland & Virginia Young Cooperators as we rock-n-roll our way down south for the 2017 YC Summer Break, July 31-August 1 in Statesville, North Carolina.
Explore the best of what the Iredell County countryside has to offer, including tour stops at:
- Rocky Creek Dairy – Owned by large animal veterinarian Ben Shelton, Rocky Creek Dairy features a double-16 parallel parlor and milks an average of 1,250 cows, with an additional 1,350 heifers. In addition to producing high-quality milk, Rocky Creek Dairy’s primary focus is to cultivate longevity in its herd through cow comfort and cleanliness.
- Lucky L Jerseys – Dennis Leamon and his wife Mary Beth have been dairying for 42 years. Although he didn’t grow up on a dairy farm, Dennis discovered his love for dairying while raising his first 4-H calf at the young age of nine. Today, Lucky L Jerseys milks more than 150 full-bred, registered jerseys on a 200 acre-grazing operation, and produces an average yield of 19,000 lbs. of milk annually.
- Tally-Ho Farms – Tally-Ho Farms, owned and operated by Ricky Tally and his family, milk more than 375 cows on their 450-acre north Iredell County farm. The family delivers an average of 1 calf a day on the farm. The farm boasts recent upgrades to the free stall barn that emphasize cow comfort and allowed Ricky to increase his herd size.
- Grayhouse Farms – Brothers Jimmy and Andy Gray farm with their parents Reid and Peggy at their Stony Point, North Carolina farm. They have a commercial herd of 400 milk cows and 400 heifers, including 35 registered animals. They milk in a double-eight low-line parlor with 16 units. The brothers have started construction on a new milking facility that will be finished later this year. Attendees will be able to view the latest progress on the Gray family’s new dairy.
- Stamey Cattle Company – More than 60 years ago, Howard Stamey established Stamey Farms as a family dairy farm and premier heifer operation. Since 1975, the family has been proudly exporting registered and grade cattle to more than 30 countries on 5 continents
Plan to join us this YC summer adventure - a great opportunity to explore new dairies and make new friends.
Better yet, Maryland & Virginia will cover lodging, meals and reimburse travel expenses up to $400 per YC family, including members and members' employees, ages 18-40.
Have questions about the event or agenda? Contact Rebecca Churchill at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 742-7409.